Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 03:33:12 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Allen Louden <alouden@access.mountain.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp

> > Something I neglected to mention previously is that my provider assigns me
> > a dynamic ip. It seems this may (I could be wrong) change the way we have
> > done things. I say this because, this evening, after I received your
> > latest, I added the default route and nothing would ping. Well, the packets
> > are transmitted, but not returned. Also, when I did a netstat -rn, the
> > addresses are different each time I am on.
>
> OK.  This is a FAQ.  You need a file /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup with the
> following contents:
>
> MYADDR:
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> Note the indent of the second line.  This will add the route for you
> when you establish connection.

Be careful here.  This will work for "term" mode, but if you try it
in -auto/-ddial/-background mode it'll fail because you already have
a default route.

You're better to have a "delete ALL" before the add line.

[.....]
> > One other thing for now, how in the hell do I disconnect my modem?
>
> Hmm.  There was something going around on this topic in the last
> couple of days, but I didn't follow it.  What happens if you enter
> 'quit' to the ppp program?

'close' will disconnect without exiting, as will ^C.  'quit' will exit.

Sounds like the manual hasn't been read.....  All the bits are
pointed at from http://www.awfulhak.org/~brian (although the ppp man
page is hopelessly out of date - I must talk to wosch).

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;