Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:58:54 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
Cc:        toolchain@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch to add AES intrinsics to gcc

I don't know if you are aware that IF you really do that we will have serio=
us
problems to ship packages for 10. USE_GCC=3Dany is the fallback in the
portstree for all ports that are unable to build with clang which was intro=
duced
when HEAD switched to clang as default cc. Right now there are 150 ports in
the tree that use this fallback and quite a few of them are high profile po=
rts:

the highlights:
audio/nas devel/mingw32-binutils emulators/qemu emulators/virtualbox-ose
emulators/wine lang/go lang/v8 mail/courier math/fftw3 multimedia/libxine
multimedia/gstreamer multimedia/gstreamer-plugins multimedia/x264
security/clamav

the full list:
http://dpaste.com/1354075/

A possible hack could be to add a check for USE_GCC=3Dany to behave like
a USE_GCC=3Dyes on HEAD on the affected platforms. This pulls in lang/gcc
from ports for a lot of people on HEAD I suppose.

We certainly need to do that switch to remove the ancient gcc from base
some time but with my portmgr hat on I can only say we don't plan to do tha=
before 10.0 especially not if we are only talking about a few weeks time wi=
ndow.

--=20
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org> wro=
te:
> I have a patch that I intend to commit before the 10.0 code slush that re=
moves GCC and libstdc++ from the default build on platforms where clang is =
the system compiler.  We definitely don't want to be supporting our 6-year-=
old versions of these for the lifetime of the 10.x branch.