Date:      Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:16:05 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Very bad performance with nvidia-driver

Hello,

I'm reinstalling my desktop after a hardware upgrade and I'm having
problems with the nvidia driver (x11/nvidia-driver).

In short: it's horribly slow with desktop effects / compositing. I have
enabled the FPS display and it cannot get to 60 even on an empty
desktop. All operations requiring window redraws reduce the frame rate
to a slide show (less than 5 FPS, many black lines in the FPS status
display). 3D desktop cube rotates relatively smoothly unless there are
windows to be drawn on the rotating desktops, at which point it's a
slide show. I've tried playing movies with vlc player and it went fine,
but watching youtube in the flash player in firefox again gives terrible
performance and once even a hardware lockup.

This is relatively recent nvidia GT 440 hardware; before it I had radeon
3600 (ancient), which had visual artifacts with the open source drivers
but had acceptable performance.

I'm dual-booting this with Windows 7 where, of course, there are no
visual performance problems at all, even with demanding games.

Any ideas?

My xorg.conf was generated by nvidia-xconfig; it looks very plain,
without loading any modules or extensions except the "nvidia" driver in
the "Device" section.

This is 8-stable amd64.