Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 18:31:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Brian O'Connor" <boc@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: development environments

On 03-Jun-98 Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Brian O'Connor wrote:
>
> For development, FreeBSD is quite strong.  The build environment is very
> tight and standardized.
>
>> SGI has a great varsity pack deal that gives us high level commercial
>> C++/C,fortran,cosmo(java) and ada development packages.
>
> You get all that for free from us! :)  We have the Sun JDK ported over,
> c/c++ is stock with the system, and fortran & ada can be had from the
> ports tree.

Then on top of this you get xemacs, with language-support for C/C++, ADA,
Java, Shell, ...
More, xemacs interfaces to CVS (version-control-system) and to native
debuggers.
Then there is "ddd" a graphical UI to native debugger which is very powerfull.
Also have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/java for getting JWS running on
FreeBSD.

Development on FreeBSD is really fun.

Malte.