Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:00:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      m yelle <error1atline0@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panic installing 5.4-release

I'm attempting to install 5.4-r on an old server which
has been running 4.9-stable for the last few years
without any problems, with longest uptime of just over
6 months. I'm installing to a tested clean/blank scsi
hdd.

After the cd boots, it loads the BTX loader, does a
partial boot sequence then asks for which kernel to
load- acpi, non-acpi, safe, etc. No matter which
option I choose, there is an identical kernel panic
immediately afterwards, every single time.

Booting from floppies, the kernel panic still occurs.

Is there a a way around this, or do I need to use a
different BSD? I've tested for obvious hardware
defects.

****

Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel
mode

instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc044c343
stack pointer       = 0x10:0xd55db81c
frame pointer       = 0x10:0xd55db82c
code segment        = base 0x0 limit on 0xfffff type
0x1b
                    = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, resume,
iopl=0
current process     = 33 (swi 3 : cambio)
trap number         = 18
panic : integer divide fault

****

System configuration

Asus p5a, AMD k6-2 @ 450 mhz, with acpi bios
512 mb ram
buslogic bt948, uses "bt" driver, connected to scsi
hdd and cdrom
digital de500, uses "de" or "dc" driver
matrox g200 video

no sound