Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:11:17 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Subject:   Re: is there a way to convert an audio file into a char array?

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 01:52:07PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> writes:
>
> > 	In working toward my goal of writing a keyboard driver with builtin
> > 	clicks, I'm investigating different angles.  One would be to find
> > 	existing audio files and catting then thru /dev/dsp.
> >
> > 	Is there a way of turning any audio file/format into a character
> > 	array---in the way that a graphic can be turned into a character
> > 	array?
> >
> > 	For example, I turned the graphic of a small arrow to the following:
> >
> > unsigned char uparrow_bits[] = {
> >    0x80, 0x01, 0xc0, 0x03, 0xe0, 0x07, 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xf8, 0x1f, 0xfc, 0x3f,
> >    0xfe, 0x7f, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xf8, 0x1f, 0xf8, 0x1f, 0xf8, 0x1f};
> >
> > 	Are there tools to do the same with a .au or .wav file?
>
> od(1), but that would be silly.  Just have your program open the file
> and read it in.

	Yeah, I views the file with od -c; but wouldn't it be much faster
	to have the data file part of my test program than having to open,
	read, cat thru /dev/dsp each time, close file?  I stole the cat
	from the K&R book, and by reading the click.h data file it seems
	everything would go much faster.

	(I have three actual keyboard click drivers that I'm paring down,
	just wondering in my pre-built click file wouldn't be a better
	option.  It's got a seriously beautiful waveform.

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php