Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:06:18 -0300 (BSC)
From:      Alexandre Moriya - esp <moriya@ifi.unicamp.br>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        moriya@ifi.unicamp.br (Alexandre Moriya - esp)
Subject:   NIS passwords

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and I intend to help and to
"be helped" whenever it is possible !!!

Well, my problem concerns about NIS password file
which is served by a SUNOS 4.x host. In these machines
there isn't the concept of shadow passwords.

My problem is that when I try to access the NIS password
file from my FreeBSD-2.0.5 host, the password is always
invalid. I realized that the password field in FreeBSD
is bigger than the password field in SUNOS 4.x.

How can I use SUNOS 4.x password file in my FreeBSD box ?

I used "vipw" to insert the line "+::::::" in the passowrd
file so that I can see the SUNOS NIS password file.
Then, I used "ypbind".

Now I can see the NIS passwords using "ypcat passwd" but
it can't be used by FreeBSD correctly, isn't it ?
I just want my FreeBSD box to be a NIS client...

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks in advance,

	BYE, Ate mais

--

Alexandre Moriya			(RA 910061)
Centro de Computacao John David Rogers 	(CCJDR)