Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:02:03 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.immure.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>, Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIA chip set

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 07:56:24AM -0700, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Bob Willcox wrote:

> > > Almost definitely not, since the Thunderbird motherboards are a very
> > > scarce commodity at the moment.
> >
> > What has changed with the Thunderbird motherboards?
>
> They've gone back to a socket instead of a slot-A.  Of course, it's
> socket-A, which is different than anything that has come before it, so
> no preexisting motherboards will work.

Ahh, that change.  All of my Athlon MBs and CPUs (including thunderbird)
are slot-A.  I haven't even seen any socket-A MBs or CPUs yet.

FWI, Slot-A thunderbird CPUs are available in the OEM channels (which is
what I have), and they work just fine (for me) in Slot-A MBs.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox       Man usually avoids attributing cleverness to somebody else --
bob@immure.com    unless it is an enemy.