Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 17:45:32 -0500
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postfix

A>    Do you know about performance in postfix? I have on FreeBSD (4.5) box
> > running postfix and delivering mail in 65.000 mailboxes... I know about
> > maildirs... but, how maildir would help me??? The postfix delivery agent
> > simply can't do the jog. This is because a lot of entries???

For that many mail boxes, say, 300K msgs/day, which is beginning to get
into serious scaleability issues.

I would have one machine as mailbox server (postfix + pop) and a second box
as MX host for in/out gateway and anti-abuse configs.  See IMGate in my sig
.  Several 100 ISP's and other orgs run IMGate with great success.

On the mailbox server, I assume you are disk i/o limited (mailbox
read/write, mailqueue read/write, logging), so caching SCSI and two or more
disks would speed up the disk channel.

But we need more info about the specs of your box, and what software it's
running.

Len