Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:22:31 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome upgrade killed mouse

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I ran the gnome_upgrade.sh script and now my mouse doesn't.  Even if I
> run Xorg -configure and start X with the generated xorg.conf.new file,
> the mouse doesn't work.
>
> I can see the mouse being detected in the dmesg.boot, so it appears to
> be a problem with Xorg rather than device detection.  Any suggestions
> would be welcomed, since my desktop is essentially useless at this
> point.  (I'm sending this from my Winbloze laptop.)

I understand that your mouse problem got "solved", but just out of
curiosity, was it PS/2 and was there a KVM switch box in the mix?
Are you also tracking -STABLE?

FWIW to anyone else, I ask because after upgrading a box in our data
center to 5.4-STABLE and the latest port updates yesterday, the PS/2
mouse on it flaked out. It didn't totally stop working, but it will
only move the cursor in short jerky motions and at some points it
does appear to completely stop responding. It is running moused and
rc.conf is configured for Auto.

A USB mouse attached directly to this system works perfectly, and
the PS/2 mouse in question works just fine with other boxes
(Windows) attached to the same KVM switch. I haven't yet tried to
remove this system from the KVM switch to see if it works OK in
isolation, but I am pretty sure the KVM setup was working well
enough before the latest 5.4-STABLE and gnome updates were applied.

If anyone interested in this subject area would like me to perform
specific troubleshooting or patch tests, the box in question is
expendable for the next couple of weeks or so and I'd be happy to
oblige as time permits.

This is a Dell GX150 with a Dell Logitech scroll wheel mouse and a
Belkin Omniview 8-port powered KVM (I know, KVM switches can cause
flaky problems, but I've never had any problem with any hardware or
OS on this particular switch box model).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348