Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:01:35 -0400
From:      Chris Morris <chrism@sixfeetup.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Snapshots fail on busy filesystem

Greetings to all,

I'm trying to set up an automated system wherein snapshots of the file
system are taken prior to a backup run.  The problem I'm running into
can best be described by the following bug report:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=100365&cat=

I get this same problem completely at random, and thus is most likely
caused by the busy file system, I just don't have anything in place to
prove it as the bug submitter does.

Has this bug ever been *really* fixed?  The bug report seems to try to
call it fixed.  I even contacted the bug reporter about this and he
admitted that the bug had never been fixed, but that he'd moved on and
never found a way around this.

If the bug has never been fixed, has someone developed a work around?
My primary goal is to make sure that I have a good backup of the
databases running on our servers when we run a backup with Bacula.  If
there is a method other than snapshots to make absolutely sure that my
databases are backed up correctly, I would consider that as well.

Please help.  My backup system is running perfectly except for this
nagging sensation that my databases aren't being backed up correctly.
Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris Morris

--
S i x  F e e t  U p  |  "Nowhere to go but open source"
Silicon Valley: +1 (650) 401-8579 x609