Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2018 16:38:12 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntfs HD with io errors

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:07:38 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Have a 3TB ntfs HD with i/o errors.
>
> ntfs-3g does read it, but a ls command of 2 different directories get
> error msg about i/o errors and nothing is listed.
>
> Is there a way to fsck this HD to fix it?

This depends on the actual reason for the error message.
As it has been suggested, Spinrite can do a great job
to "re-activate" broken disks, at least for copying
their content once. Also check the tools in "ntfsprogs",
one might be able to repair the file system... but I/O
errors often indicate hardware failure. Have you tried
to get a smartctl report for the disk yet?

> There is only 600GB of data on the 3TB HD. Looking for way to copy the
> data to a 1TB ufs HD.

> What will dump command do with i/o errors?

With dump, you can only process UFS file systems (as
input); NTFS does not support it.

> Can dd command skip over unused space?

I think it can. You can also try dd_rescue or ddrescue
which can handle I/O errors much better than stock dd,
for example by using a dynamically adjusted block size
for reading, or performing several attempts on a failed
block.

> Any other ideas?

Find out if you have a hardware error or a filesystem
inconsistency.

Oh, and give Spinrite a try, it's really a great tool.
Why isn't it on my list?! ;-)

In worst case, use magicrescue to get at least the data,
in case you might not be able to get the sorting information
(directory hierarchy and file systems lost).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany