Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:11:32 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        linux quest <linuxquest7570@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Internet Connection Problem - DNS Related?

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 03:10, linux quest wrote:
> I am a new user of FreeBSD. I have already installed FreeBSD
> succesfully. However, I am not able to connect to the Internet. I
> have read the ppp manual in FreeBSD (by typing man ppp), but I
> still can't connect to the Internet.
>
> This is what happened at my prompt ...
>
> abc# ping google.com
> ping: cannot resolve google.com: Host name lookup failure
>
> Then, I thought perhaps I haven't configure my DNS. So I typed man
> dns, but I can't find the DNS manual, and yes... I know my ISP DNS
> IP address. But I don't know where to configure it in FreeBSD.
>
> Hope someone can help me. Thanks.

You might want to ensure you have connectivity by trying to ping
something by IP. (128.101.101.101 would work if you don't know an IP
off the top of your head)

Anyways, to answer your question, nameservers are configured
in /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx

is the format of the directive in it.

--