Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:49:04 -0600
From:      "Andrew Falanga" <af300wsm@gmail.com>
To:        "Kevin Kinsey" <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd@celestial.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where do I find the PERL compatible functions for php

On 10/2/07, Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:

> Actually, it's been "split out" for some time now; you can get
> PCRE support for your pre-existing PHP installation by installing
> ports/devel/php5-pcre.  But, since most users want PHP to support
> many technologies/modules, the general thing to do is to install
> ports/lang/php5-extensions and, in this case, be sure that "pcre"
> is checked during the configure stage (which, I believe, it is
> by default); after that, devel/php5-pcre and several other php5-foo
> ports will be added to your system, and PHP will suddenly grok
> things like XML, SQL, and Perl-compatible regular expressions
> (or at least whatever you enabled).

One of the irritating things, but also very practical, about Google mail is
that messages I send to this list do not show up in my inbox until someone
responds.  I was actually able to figure this out last night by going to
php.net and searching under the extension categories and found PCRE.  I then
went to freshports.org and found php5-pcre in /usr/ports/devel/php5-pcre.
Once I knew where to find it in the ports, I was able to fix the problem.
This also helped me fix the lack of php5-xml and php5-sessions.

One question I have for the maintainers of these ports and the ports
infrastructure, why are these all listed in different places?

/usr/ports/devel/php5-pcre/
/usr/ports/textproc/php5-xml/
/usr/ports/www/php5-session/

Not that these categories are wrong, or don't make sense, but why wouldn't
they all be lumped under /usr/ports/lang, or /usr/ports/devel or something
like that?

Oh, lastly, once a port has been built, how can one redo the build of that
port with different options selected?

Andy