Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:12:27 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        chris@netmonger.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup and file permissions

In article <19981015194840.A16439@netmonger.net>,
Christopher Masto  <chris@netmonger.net> wrote:

> This is something I've kind of been ignoring for a while, but now that
> I'm tracking current/BETA on a couple more machines, I'd like to solve
> it.  I don't see anything obvious in the manpage.
>
> Basically, I maintain one copy of the CVS tree on our big server with
> cvsup, and use remote CVS+ssh to check stuff out onto other machines.
> Because CVS needs write access, I have set up a group for the users
> that have permission to do this sort of thing.  The problem is that cvsup
> keeps taking the group permissions away when it updates the repository.
>
> chris@cheddar:~$ ls -l /usr/cvs/freebsd/
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x   5 root  cvs  1536 Oct 15 19:20 CVSROOT/
> drwxr-xr-x  45 root  cvs  1024 Oct 10 22:21 ports/
> drwxr-xr-x  22 root  cvs   512 Oct 15 19:20 src/
>
> I want those to be 775, not 755.  I can change them all, but next time
> I cvsup, I get a SetAttrs line for every directory, and it puts them
> back.  Is there some way to avoid this?

I think the problem may be that you're running cvsup with a umask of
22.  Make sure the umask allows the file modes that you want.  I.e.,
try a umask of 2.  To be sure of that, it might pay off to write a
little shell script for running cvsup.  (Yes, I know, it should be an
option in the CVSupfile.  Some day ...)

John