Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:51:19 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        George Hegyes <ceo@internetuniverse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Installation Problems

>I have installed my freeBSD UNIX on a single 810MEG harddrive, the
>system seems to boot fine but at the end a panic occurs
>
>panic: cannot mount root
>
>I reinstalled the system from scratch, the book offers no clues to the
>problem, the system has never successfully booted to login

   This indicates that, for some reason, the kernel couldn't find the device
that it booted from. Often this is caused by disk controller settings (port,
irq, etc.) in the kernel not matching the actual controller settings. What
type of disk controller is the system disk attached to?

-DG

David Greenman