Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:47:29 -0600
From:      sedwards@qrwsoftware.com
To:        oremanj@get-linux.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any way to stop a remote box gone crazy?

Quoting oremanj@get-linux.org:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 03:28:38PM -0600 or thereabouts,
> sedwards@qrwsoftware.com wrote:
> >
> > I get the same Segmentation fault when I try to run dmesg.  I'm using
> the
> > bash shell.  Oddly enough I can run sh though.  Another odd thing if I
> try
> > to use cat with bash I get:
> >
> > -bash: cat: command not found
> >
> > but I get this if I run cat from sh:
> >
> > cat: no such device or address
>
> Wild guess: do you have LD_PRELOAD set? Quick test:
> unset LD_PRELOAD
> cat /dev/null
>
> -- Josh

I love computers, they have such a strange sense of humor.  ;-)

This is what happened:

sedwards@marconi:sedwards$ unset LD_PRELOADConnection to
itsallgoodradio.net closed by remote host.
Connection to itsallgoodradio.net closed.
[sedwards@edison sedwards]$ ssh itsallgoodradio.net

Is there anything besides dmesg that I should check when someone gets to
the console (assuming they can login at the console), before rebooting?

Thanks
  -Scott