Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:46:12 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Grigory Kljuchnikov <grn@ispras.ru>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: errno (46) - for FreeBSD 4.0 NFS server

Thank you, Erik!

I find rpc.lockd and start it manually. My test with NFS locking works right.
But it don't start on boot by default if I enable NFS server in
/stand/sysinstall and there is the comment in /etc/default/rc.conf
for rpc_lockd_enable:

rpc_lockd_enable="NO"          # Run NFS rpc.lockd (*broken!*) if nfs_server.

Does the comment "(*broken!*)" mean that rpc.lockd doesn't work properly?

Grigory.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 12:04:55PM +0300, Grigory Kljuchnikov wrote:
> > Thierry, thank you for the information,
> > but it's very bad that there isn't NFS locking in FreeBSD.
> > I'm afraid I need to move my FreeBSD NFS server to Solaris
> > for x86.
> >
> > I don't understand why NFS locking isn't in FreeBSD.
> > Is it difficult in the implementation or are there another
> > global problems in the kernel (or in the native filesystem)?
> >
> > Who know when the NFS locking is planed to release in FreeBSD?
> >

> Actually I think that server side locking *is* implemented but client side
> locking isn't.
> 'man 8 rpc.lockd' for more information.
> (And 'man 5 rc.conf' for information on how to start it at bootup.

Grigory Kljuchnikov
Institute for System Programming Russian Academy of Sciences,
109004, Moscow, Russia, B.Kommunistitcheskay, 25,
  phone(work):   +7-095-9125659
  fax:           +7-095-9121524
  e-mail:        <grn@ispras.ru>