Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:52:10 -0800
From:      Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@ridecharge.com>
Cc:        ruby@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RF vs GITHUB and ports trouble

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:26:06 +0000
"Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@ridecharge.com> mentioned:

> Hi,
>
> So about 60-80% of the projects on github, *sigh*, never make releases
> which means you can't download anything other then git head, or a
> branch.  If you are lucky a tag.

You can hardly do something with this.  If the
upstream projects doesn't make releases, you
as a maintainer need to figure out what are
the right branch points are (when the project
is most stable), make snapshot of the tree
and upload it somewhere, where the port can
find it.

> As gems move from RF to GITHUB, we're going to have lots of problems.
> I.E www/rails which I can't update to 2.3.5 until this is resolved.
> This certainly doesn't work with USE_RUBYGEMS and it doesn't even work
> without it.  Additionally, it doesn't work with the gem command (gem18
> in this case).

Can you be more specific?  Why the gem command
doesn't work?  Has something changed in gems
themselves?

> As maintainer of 36 rubygems I'm definitely worried about the future and
> am willing to invest some time in bsd.ruby.mk to do something, but I
> have no idea what that something might be.
>
> Finally MASTER_SITES_GITHUB and GITHUB macro will need to go into
> bsd.sites.mk.

What this HITHUB macros do?  I can't find any
references in the ports tree?

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE