Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2013 21:54:49 -0400
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: UEFI Secure Boot

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 16:21:28 +0000 (UTC), jb wrote:
> > I hope FreeBSD (and other OSs) luminaries, devs and users will find a
> way not
> > to harm themselves.
>
> A massive problem I (personally) have is that with Restricted Boot
> (this is what "Secure Boot" basically is) you are no longer able
> to _ignore_ MICROS~1 and their products. A restrictive boot loader
> mechanism that requires signed and confirmed keys, handled by a
> major offender of free decisions and a healthy market - no thanks.
> What prevents MICROS~1 from revoking keys of a possible competitor?
> Or from messing with the specs just that things start breaking?
>
> Don't get me wrong: I don't even argument that a mechanism where
> a competitor requires you to pay money to run _your_ software
> instead of _their_ software sounds horribly wrong. This approach
> will introduce a philosophical or even legal context to the
> technical problem.
>
> I see interesting chances in UEFI per se. It can be called a kind
> of "micro-OS" which can be rich on features that could also be
> useful. But history has shown that if such an infrastructure is
> provided, it will lead to bloated, insecure and incompatible
> implementations quickly, and the worst, it will happen at a very
> low level. This is simly dangerous.
>
> Regarding UEFI + Restricted Boot: To obtain MICROS~1's sticker of
> approval for hardware, vendors need to implement those features.
> Even worse, on _specific_ platforms, they are not allowed to make
> it possible to _remove_ those features, so "on by default" is
> required - if I remember correctly (Intel vs. ARM architectures).
>
> As you see, I try to ignore this whole topic as I am not interested
> in using it. In the past, this has been possible. When building a
> new system, buying a blank disk and _no_ "Windows" was particularly
> easy. For systems that already came with some "Windows" preinstalled,
> simply deleting the partition was a solution; install FreeBSD boot
> mechanism, initialize disk, and be done. No more dealing with what
> MICROS~1 seems to insist is "normal". When _their_ product decisions
> make _me_ invest time to find a way to remove and ignore them, I
> feel offended.
>
> I would like to see a way UEFI hardware, with or without Restricted
> Boot, can be used with FreeBSD _without_ involving the "good will"
> of MICROS~1. But as they have already gotten their fingers everywhere,
> this doesn't seem to happen all too soon... :-(
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

To assume that UEFI with some magic numbers is a security provider with
current hardware is only a day dream .
Consider stolen security signing keys and other by-passing mechanisms .

For me , I think , over time there will exist free , but really free
operating systems which they are not enslaved themselves to some companies
, and hardware ( mainly main boards ) which will not require such enslaving
. Then , to do task is just plainly to switch to such hardware and software
.

Personally , I will never want to live under a restriction tried to be
enforced by a company and blindly accepted by its followers . I think I am
not the only one in the world .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk