Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 05:17:25 +0000
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why cant a setuid process do a shutdown?

Charles Henrich stands accused of writing in message ID
<199510292245.RAA05648@crh.cl.msu.edu>:
>Okay, I've tried everything, and I cant figure out anyway in which a setuid
>process can execute a shutdown.

gary@palmer:~> ls -alo `where shutdown`
-r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  - 126976 Nov 22  1994 /sbin/shutdown

Works fine for me (my normal UID is in the operator group. I did this
as I really hated su'ing to root just to switch my machine off for the
night...)

(and yes, I am running what is basically a 2.0R system :-| )

Gary