Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:07:46 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem pulling particular directory from CVS

"Paul A. Scott" wrote:
> setenv CVSROOT ":pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs"
> cvs login
> cvs co src/contrib
>
> When it gets to directory src/contrib/cvs, I get:
>
> cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write <CVS/Template file>: No such file or
> directory
>
> Nothing hidden, totally forthright.

Except that's a different error than the one you said before.  8-).

This particular error usually when you are doing this
as root, and have an overly-anal umask set.  To correct it, you
should delete the subtree from that point, and at an upper level,
type:

	cvs update -d

The subdirectories that would have been included in the original
checkout will be brought in and created ("-d"), without you
needing to repeat the "checkout".

> > Probably you can get around the problem by updating your 'cvs',
>
> Running 'cvs -v' on FreeBSD 4.5:
> Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client/server)
>
> This version breaks on checkout of src/contrib/cvs
>
> Running 'cvs -v' on FreeBSD 4.7:
> Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1-FreeBSD (client/server)
>
> This version works.
>
> Thanks. I'll update my cvs.

I still find it hard to believe you aren't using a particular tag;
the other procedure outlined above should work for you with the
old CVS against the error message you are getting now.

One possibility is that the source tree you are doing has a stick
tag set?

In any case, if you have a workaround, you're probably more
interested in the fact it works than in why.  8-) 8-).

-- Terry