Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 09:26:45 -0400
From:      wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT )
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        amurai@spec.co.jp, Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and demand start

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> writes:

-Michael> ED WOLPERT stands accused of saying:
->> What I'm looking for as not disconnect with an active ip session
->> going.

-Michael> There's no such thing as an "ip session".  IP is a one-off
-Michael> datagram protocol.

Whoops... now I knew that. ;-)

-Michael> What you probably want is for the link not to drop while you
-Michael> have a TCP connection open on a remote system.
-Michael> Unfortunately, it's impossible to detect this, as an open
-Michael> TCP connection normally only generates traffic (which can be
-Michael> detected) when it's doing something.

Netstat shows a tcp session that is open, even if idle, does it not?
Even still, for my purposes, my tcp connection would generate traffic
for pulling in news.  I'll examine the netstat source and do some
investigation.

--
                           Virtually,
                           Edward Wolpert

-------------------------------  "The best way out is always
wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com |  through." - Robert Frost
wolpert@utk.edu                |
Truth is what you believe.     |  give you the world.' (tm)

Fnord.