Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:14:27 -0500
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        graichen@rzpd.de (Thomas Graichen)
Cc:        tech@OpenBSD.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: magic of western digital disks ... ?

 |if i have an wd disk in the computer and it is not set in the bios (for
 |instance second disk on the first controller or any disk on the second
 |controller - old machine with only two disks in bios) it will be detected at
 |bootup by OpenBSD and FreeBSD correctly but i can't access it under OpenBSD
 |(FreeBSD works fine) - under OpenBSD i get different errors - on one machine

This may be related.  In my experience and in others' I know, I've/they've
never had much success getting a Western Digital to slave to a hard drive
of another manufacturer.  They'll slave to other Western Digs just fine,
but when mixing types I've always had to make the Western Dig the master.

Now the underlying reason for this I don't know.

Randall Hopper