Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 08:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Samba problems, several machines

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Dave Uhring wrote:

> On Thursday 02 May 2002 10:23 pm, Chris BeHanna wrote:
>
> >     I don't know that I've ever tried it.  I go through
> > Control Panel->Printers->Add Printer, and browse the Network
> > Neighborhood to find the Samba server sharing the printer, and select
> > the printer that way.
> >
> >     Here are the relevant portions of my smb.conf:
> >
> > [global]
> > ; some stuff elided, like remote announce and remote browse sync
> >    load printers = yes
> >    printing = cups
> >    printcap name = cups
> > ; some more stuff elided, like socket options, log params, and
> > interface lists ;  Authentication scheme
> >   security = share
> >   encrypt passwords = yes
> >
> > [printers]
> >   comment = All printers
> >   guest ok = yes
> >   printable = yes
> >
> > Note that the host in question is set up to be both the local and
> > preferred master in my domain, if that makes any difference.
>
> That works well using Windows9X, but will not work with Win2k or WinXP.

    Really?  My Win2K SP1 box prints just fine to my FreeBSD-hosted
OfficeJet 350.

>  If you use that procedure with either one the "Add Printers Wizard"
> will be invoked and no printer will be discovered.  This is discussed
> in samba.org's documentation:
>
>  http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#PRINTING
>
> but only a bare-bones skeleton is shown and no example is given.
>
> The only way I have been able to get a W2k or WXP system to use the
> samba printer is to run the kludge of "net use lpt1: \\server\printer",
> and that does not always work.

    NetBIOS name collision?  NetBIOS is a naming system wrought in
hell, and can easily cause you a lot of pounding the desk with your
head.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)