Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:06:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
To:        DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAS advice?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, DAve wrote:

> (I am cross posting to FreeBSD questions and Bacula Users, I will not be
> cross posting replies)
>
> I've been crying for four years that we needed a decent backup system and I
> always got put off. "It's on order", "can you resubmit an updated equipment
> list". Yea, checks in the mail.
>
> So yesterday I am told that we have some equipment we got in another deal and
> I can have it to backup my NOC. I plan to run Bacula which I already have on
> some individual machines. I want to have Bacula clients on all my machines
> talking to a single machine running the Bacula director, hopefully using the
> NAS machines for storage.
>
> This is the equipment they threw at me, it is old, but amazingly, unused.
>
> One Dell Poweredge 750, 2.8ghz CPU, 1gb ram, 2 500gb SATA Maxtor
> drives(yuk!), CERC SATA controller.

Be very careful here.  I run OpenBSD with CMU RAIDFrame RAID-1 mirrors and
FreeBSD 5.3 with GEOM/GMirror RAID-1 on this platform for embeded devices.
It's rock-solid, except Dell phased the 750 for the 850 and went from ICH6
to ICH7 Intel Chipsets?  Also, they're now OEM'ing Broadcom bge(4) based
NICs instead of Intel em(4), so consider yourself lucky in a sense >:}.
The point is that the 850 will only run the very latest FreeBSD 6.1-BETA1
snapshots contain support for the newer chips.

~lava