Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2006 07:58:00 -0400
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind as a chaching nameserver

Richard Collyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently been getting a lot of trouble with SpamAssassin performing
> a lot of rDNS lookups which is causing network issues (timeouts etc to
> DNS servers).
>
> I am trying to install BIND (or djbdns) as a simple caching nameserver.
> Just to take some of the load off the networks DNS servers (my ISPs).
>
> However I am having trouble finding a good tutorial to follow.
>
> I've looked at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dns.html
> but its mainly going on about being a nameserver which is not what I am
> after, wanting to keep it more simple than that.
>
> [root@brian:/usr/local/etc] $ named -v
> BIND 9.3.1
>
> Can anyone suggest me a good tutorial to follow, I've googled but mostly
> they are for debain/redhat and some of the commands and files are
> different.

DJB's instructions for running a cache on a workstation is the simplest
set of instructions I know of. I've used them for years with great
success o all my servers. Good for web and mail servers as well SA.

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/run-cache.html

I also recommend the SpamAssassin Wiki. Look under the heading
"Performance Tips:".

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsingSpamAssassin

DAve

--
This message was checked by forty monkeys and
found to not contain any SPAM whatsoever.

Your monkeys may vary