Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:04:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-SPAM

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Burton Sampley wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been using FBSD for over 1 year as my primary OS (I only keep
> Mickey$oft around for games).  My ISP (best.com) also uses FBSD for their
> servers.  Recently I have been receiving an increasing amount of
> SPAM-mail.  What can I do as a user and what can I advise Best (hopefully
> they'll listen) to prevent SPAM from being delivered to my account?

1.  Keep tight control over your email address.  Give it only to people
who really need it.  Don't put it on warranty cards & such, they just sell
your address when they sell your postal address.

2.  Run procmail.  procmail is a small program that scans your incoming
mail for certain strings and re-files the message based on rules.  Well,
all you do is search for spamming sites and dump them to /dev/null :)  I
have my current filter list on my homepage.  procmail is instlled on many
larger sites and ISPs; if it isn't, ask your sysadmin to insall it for
everyone's benefit.  If they won't, that's what ~/bin/ is for. :)

3.  Don't post to usenet if you can help it.  Spammers are just waiting in
the wings for new posters so they can swipe your email and spam you.
Avoid putting your email address in a scannable form or mailto: on your
web pages too.  Spiders pick them up and put you on their mailing list.

4.  Never patronize spammers.  Don't even grant them a reply; they run
anti-bad-response filters and they take it as acknowledgement that you
exist, so they send you more.  Don't buy things from spammers.  Make them
pay for their spam by losing a customer.

Hope this helps.  I've had to deal with this, got mad at first, and that
didn't help.  I killed one spammer in about 5 attempts.  Then i put
procmail on and kept adding rules.