Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:17:07 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List of fake vs. real SATA drives.

Charles Sprickman writes:
> I don't know how much of it to believe, since it is marketing material,=20
> but the Seagate white paper on their site claims that all the=20
> command-queueing stuff brings the performance very close to that of scsi.

In my experience ATA drives really lack when it comes to seek times
and contention, e.g. heavy copying between 2 drives while trying to
do normal accesses to one of them. SCSI drives somehow manage to more
gracefully handle that sort of thing. Probably a benefit of the Tagged
Queuing which they pretty much all support.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj[at]jennejohn.org gj[at]freebsd.org garyj[at]denx.de