Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:30:31 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Robert J Lynn Jr (TeChYMaN)" <root@techyman.ml.org>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: swap_pager: out of swap space

On Tue, 16 June 1998 at  0:30:25 -0400, Robert J Lynn Jr (TeChYMaN) wrote:

> Erk. I got that, says try increasing to 28 MB, but im pretty sure its at
> the time at 32. Gimp gets killed and i get a ton of kernel warnings. What
> gives?

The message I know is:

Jun 15 16:22:30 papillon /kernel: swap_pager: suggest more swap space: 44 MB

This is saying (not very clearly): You are currently using 44 MB of
your swap space (and there are only 4 MB free).  Consider increasing
the size.

FreeBSD is getting more swap-hungry.  This is a sensible tradeoff:
swap is cheap, and this approach allows significant performance
improvements elsewhere.  I'm beginning to think that 64 MB is becoming
a minimum, and on my main machine I have over 200 MB without
considering it too much (I frequently go up to 200 MB, particularly
with graphics programs).

Greg