Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:00:24 +0100
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

Timo Schoeler wrote:
> Thus Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> spake on Fri, 11 Jan 2008
> 14:12:25 +0100:

>>> It should do with *one* exception: Every other, more important
>>> problem (e.g. getting ZFS to v9) is *solved*. If this is the case,
>>> import the USB christmas tree device driver and introduce
>>> dev.xmastree.lamps.blink as sysctl, absolutely no problem.

>>> But I bet you would be fine with it in the tree as well as some
>>> others, if not all others? If so, why didn't it get into the tree?
>>> Maybe because some lower-priority USB christmas device driver was
>>> imported instead?
>>>
>>> This is the crucial point I wanted to show: *Priorities*.
>> You are making the incorrect assumption that one developer working on
>> e.g. your /dev/uxmas in any way effects the development of other
>> "more important" parts of the tree.
>
> No, I didn't. I said that the work is done ineffectively as he's doing
> underprioritized stuff. Working on higher prioritized stuff would be
> more efficient, and would help the project even more.
>
> Given the assumption that the developer is able to do both, the Xmas
> tree as well as importing ZFS v9 into the tree.
>
> (I don't see the point that when somebody is really *capable* of doing
> both things, why should (s)he do the 'lower priority' thing. If you
> are at the olympic stadium and you're the best sprinter, you wouldn't
> join the marathon...!)
>
>> In almost all cases it does
>> not.  If they were not working on that "lower priority" code, they
>> would not be working on your "more important" code anyway, unless
>> they already wanted to do that.
>
> That's just a lack of responsibility, morals, and enthusiasm. So, why
> code at all?

You are not listening to what we're telling you about how software
developers work, and you've also overridden the Reply-To: chat in my
previous email, which is inappropriate.

I'm not going to exchange further emails with you on this topic, and
you've also strongly encouraged me to also delete your future emails unread.

Goodbye,
Kris