Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:36:47 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple versions of ports somehow installed.  (trying again)

somehow, my entire response was deleted . . .

kevin:
> > From: dochawk@psu.edu

> > Also, according to the manpage, INDEX.db and INDEX.rbo should be here.
> > They're not.

> > Shouldn't the missing files and inability to do anything cause an error?

> Wow. It looks like something REALLY messed things up on your
> system. Your analysis matches mine.

swell. :)

> The INDEX file looks OK. It should not be updated under normal
> circumstances. But you do need the other files which SHOULD be created
> by "portsdb -u" and I can't imagine what is failing.

> You might want to re-install ruby and then portupgrade, but that's
> just a shot in the dark. I suspect that you might have a current
> portupgrade and an old ruby.

I just deinstalled everything ruby, and remade ruby and ruby-opt-parse
to replace older (november?) versions.

No dice.

Is there any other way to force the creation of INDEX.db and .rbo?
Or am I to the point where /usr/ports and /usr/local should be nuked,
and start again from cvs?

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail