Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:42:43 -0230
From:      ifradsham@newtel.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   DHCP and netmasks

I have a DSL modem and I am using DHCP on my FreeBSD machine.  The DHCP
successfully grabs the IP address for my ethernet (ed0) as well as the
gateway and name servers from my ISP.  However, it keeps assigning a
255.255.255.255 netmask to my ed0.  When I use a windows box on the same
DSL connection, it gets a 255.255.255.0 address.  I contacted the ISP and
he confirms that the DHCP server is sending a 255.255.255.0 netmask.

I can't figure out what is going on.  My dhclient.conf is empty and a I
configured the DHCP on my machine using /stand/sysinstall.

Is there some default setting I am missing or is there some way to
override the netmask I am being provided?

Thanks

Ian Fradsham
ifradsham@newtel.com