Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:27:16 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        G-der <gder@tribble.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup: src-sys ports-all breaks ports

G-der said on Jul 12, 2000 at 15:32:55:

> > > incorrect for the port.  I was hoping to get this fixed as I'm trying to
> > > install SSH and it's dependent package rsaref (it's in security/rsaref) is
> > > unavailable.  I was hoping that there may be an update ot the port that
> > > fixed this.
> >
> > You can upgrade your ports tree with cvsup, you'll find an example
> > supfile in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.
> >
> I am aware of that, what I'm saying is that when I do cvsup with ports-all
> in the cvsupfile it makes it so I can't compile or install any of the
> ports.  I think whats happening is that I'm getting the ports collection
> for 4.0 and when I try to make or make install any of the ports it gives
> me an errror about haveing the wrong version of ports for this system.

Ah.  Sorry for not reading your mail carefully.

I'm not sure why this should happen.  I'm running 3.4-STABLE and my
ports tree works fine.  Are you sure it's upgrading the ports tree,
however -- ie do you see the "updating" messages?
IIRC, the tag= line is different for the source and ports supfiles,
so using the same supfile for both shouldn't work.

> Is there a way I can specify what version of ports I want for my release
> version?

There is only one ports tree.  As a result there are a few breakages,
I believe, but most of them seem to work on 3.x still.

Rahul.