Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New PCI cards and FreeBSD

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Dave Hayes wrote:

> I'm using FreeBSD 2.0.5 and attempting to use an Adaptec 3940
> and an Intel EtherExpress card on the PCI bus.
>
> I guess "kernel -c" doesn't config cards on the PCI bus, eh?
>
> Anyway, it's hard to know what support there is for these cards.
> Searching through the "hackers" and "hardware" archives shows
> me nothing as to how to determine if there is support for your
> particular hardware.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for using either of these two
> cards in a FreeBSD system?
> ------
> Dave Hayes -- Institutional NETworks - Section 394 -- JPL/NASA - Pasadena CA
> dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov       dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov         ...usc!elroy!dxh

Hey, another JPL'er using FreeBSD!  Welcome aboard!  As it turns out, I've
just finished writing the kernel configuration chapter of the FreeBSD
Handbook, which should be available on http://www.freebsd.org/ in a few
days after I make some minor corrections.  In the meantime, you can
retrieve a beta version from my school home page at:

http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~jehamby/handbook/handbook.html

Chapter 5.3 discusses the configuration file, including supported SCSI
and Network devices.  A few of the devices are NOT mentioned elsewhere, I
had to poke around in the source code to see what card, for example,
"eg0" corresponded to (people, DOCUMENT your changes in the LINT kernel,
at least :-).  Anyway:

The EtherExpress 16 is supported with a line like:

device ix0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 iosiz 32768 vector
ixintr

This may or may not be compatible with your PCI card.  Similarly, the
the highest model of Adaptec I see mentioned is the 274x/284x/294x
series, if your card is backwards compatible, then this line might work:

controller ahc0

You didn't mention if these devices were recognized by the GENERIC
kernel.  Are they?  By the way, the only PCI-specific drivers I see, are
the NCR 53C810/53C825 SCSI controller (which I've got in a Micron 100MHz
Pentium here, works great!) and the DEC DC21040 PCI Ethernet adapter.
All other cards are supported through the PCI->ISA bridge, apparently.

Anyway, if you have any more questions, you can reach me at extension
4-5068 or mail hamby@aris.jpl.nasa.gov

---Jake