Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 2015 12:18:12 -0600
From:      jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB stick and some help with it.

On 08/03/2015 12:01 PM, Quartz wrote:
> Can you do a quick sanity check and see if the stick can be wiped on a
> different machine? Or perhaps the same machine by booting off a live
> linux cd. Being on old flash drive there's a possibility it's just up
> and died due to wear and the problem isn't due to FreeBSD at all.
I second Quartz's suggestion.
Just download a live linux cd, such as:
http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.1DVD-2014-09-15-EN.iso
along with checksum files:
http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.1DVD-2014-09-15-EN.iso.md5
http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.1DVD-2014-09-15-EN.iso.sha1

Once you burn it to dvd, boot it, and use the gui to launch a terminal
(icon for it is at bottom left bar).

then you run
su -

then you insert the usb stick.
Assuming there is only one HD in the machine, the stick will be
named /dev/sdb  If more than one HD in the machine, say 4 HD (sda, sdb,
sdc, sdd), then
the stick will be sde.

Run

dd  if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd?  bs=1M
where ? is b or c or d ...etc depending on how many HD's you have in the
system.
You do not need to specify the count, because dd will stop when the
stick is full of
zeros.

Once done, unplug the stick, and reinsert it.

then run the command fdisk /dev/sd?  (? as explained above)

create 1 partition.
set it's type to whatever you want. I usually use the letter c as the type
to mean fat lba.

To finish, type the command w  to the fdisk session
and you are done.

Now type fdisk -l  /dev/sd?

and you will see the drive has 1 partition.

now create a filesystem on your drive:

mkfs -t vfat /dev/sd?1   (again ? as explained above).

type the command
reboot
and the dvd drive will get ejected.
press the return key to boot into your normal HD.

The stick is now useable and mountable.