Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:51:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      adam reid <adamr@ece.ubc.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using Ontrack and FreeBSD 3.x

Hi,

I am having problems installing FreeBSD 3.x onto a drive which is using
the Ontrack drive overlay (version 9.3). I am forced to use Ontrack since
Windows is installed on the same drive and my bios doesn't support large
drives. I read in the FAQ that FreeBSD is supposed to work with Ontrack. I
have been using Ontrack with Windows and FreeBSD 2.2.8 on the same drive
and had no problems.

When I install FreeBSD 3.x, I have no problems installing the system. When
the install is done and I reboot, the boot manager appears. If I choose
to boot FreeBSD an error comes up "not UFS" and "no /boot/loader/".

Does anyone know how to aviod this problem? Is anyone currently using
Ontrack with FreeBSD 3.x? If so, what version of Ontrack? Can anyone
suggest in what order I should install Ontrack, FreeBSD and Windows?

Any help is appreciated,

Adam Reid
Deptartment of Electrical Engineering
University of British Columbia