Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 21:44:16 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Packet Aliasing Broke?

> > Now all we need is
> >
> >   char *dlfind(const char *, int *major, int *minor)
> > Has anyone any objections to me implementing dlfind() ?
>
> Yes -- I object for several reasons.  I'll save the biggest one
> for last.
>
> First, the dlfind() interface is too specific to the object format,
> for starters.  ELF shared libraries have only major version numbers;
> they don't have minor versions.

Ok, I didn't know that :-I

> Second, when loading shared libraries programmatically using dlopen(),
> the established convention is that the shared library should simply be
> named "foo.so" without any version number.  The installation process
> should make sure that the library (or a symlink to it) is installed in
> a location known to the application ("/usr/libdata/ppp/libalias.so"?).

This makes sense (why didn't I think of that?) :-)

> But really, why does ppp use dlopen to load libalias at all?  Why not
> simply link it in like other libraries?  I've heard the bloat-based
> arguments, but they look pretty bogus to me.  Consider this:
[.....]

The bloat I was concerned with was more to do with the installation
disk footprint rather than the in-core footprint - I don't really
care (within reason) how big it is, once it can be loaded.

Having said that, after I added deflate capabilities and the M$CHAP
code was donated, we had libdes & libz to contend with too.....
resulting in some .ifdefs in the Makefile (that still don't work
properly in ``make release'').

Soooo, I guess I really need to fix src/release/Makefile and stop
mucking around with dlopen() altogether (despite the hours of
enjoyment I'll lose :-).

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;