Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:53:56 +0800
From:      Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>
To:        david wilson <gonadpyle@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with booting and installing

david wilson wrote:
> I am using win xp on a hp laptop.
> I want to run bsd. So i get the cd burned and then
> when i reboot my system. it starts up in the usual way.
> i have tried setting bios settings for the boot device and
> nothiing seems to work. any other help please?

Your post is very short on details.
But reading between the lines. I think what you are saying is XP is
installed in slice 1 of the hard drive and you installed Freebsd into
slice 2 on the same hard drive. Now when you boot you default into xp
and Freebsd is no where to be seen. You want option to select xp or
Freebsd during boot process.

This being the case your error was while installing Freebsd you did not
select the option to install the boot manager. Reboot from the disc1
install cd. Do the install again but this time during the fdisk/bsdlabel
process select option to write boot manager to the MBR.