Date:      Sat, 01 May 1999 10:30:02 +0100
From:      Jim Chapman <jim.chapman@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI Tape & Dump

I have been struggling trying to get an ATAPI tape drive to work. I have
found that the command
tar -cf /dev/rwst0 <file> writes to the tape and the command
tar -xf /dev/rwst0 <file> reads the file back and cmp says they are
equal.

The problem seems to be with dump. The command
dump -0af /dev/rwst0 / writes to the tape, closes the drive, rewinds the
tape and then tries to send a command to the drive. The man page for wst
says that closing the drive will rewind the tape and unmount the drive.

Is this a problem with dump or is there something I need to do?

Thanks, Jim Chapman