Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 02:19:14 +0300
From:      ext-Dong.Wang@nokia.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   failed installation

Dear Sir/Madam:
I am a UNIX newbie and I am trying to install FREEBSD on a IBM THinkPad 600
laptop.  I bought a book "UNIX unleashed" and on the CD coming with the book
I found the FREEBSD installation files.
I followed the instruction in install.txt file, but I failed to finish the
installation and boot into UNIX.
 I install MS-DOS first, and copied the FREEBSD folder from CD to C: drive.
Then I start INSTALL.EXE.
I choose "start kernel configuration in full screen visual mode".  I take
away all conflicting SCSI drivers, all conflicting CD-ROM drivers and all
conflicting network card drivers except 3COM Ethernet III PCMCIA card.  I do
not leave any conflict at this step.  Then I save the change and exit.
The system probes the devices, and leads to main menu for FREEBSD
installation.  I choose "begin a novice installation (for beginners)".
It leads to Disk Partition screen.  I choose the unused space (1GB) then
choose "C=Create Slice).  I choose the default size (1GB), type of partition
(165), then "Q=finish".
I then choose to "install the freebsd boot manager ("booteasy").  Two other
choices are "Install a standard MBR (no boot manager)" and " leave the
Master Boot Record Untouched".

Next comes the screen to create BSD partition inside fdisk partition.  I
choose "a=auto defaults for all".  And then four partitions are created
automatically:
PART		Mount		size		Newfs
wd0s1		none		2047MB	DOS
wd0s2a		/		32MB		UFS Y
wd0s2b		swap		137MB		swap
wd0s2e		/var		30MB		UFS Y
wd0s2f		/usr		855MB		UFS Y
Then I choose "Q=Finish"

In "choose distribution", I choose "average user - binaries and doc only"

In "choose installation Media", I choose "install from a DOS partition".

In "user Confirmation Request", I choose to wipe out the data on that
partition.

The system runs several programs, then comes " choose distribution".  I
choose "average user - binaries and doc only".

Then there is a message: "Installation completed with some errors.  You may
wish to scroll through the debugging messages on VTY1 with the scroll-lock
feature.  You can also chose "NO" at the next prompt and go back into the
installation menu to try and retry whichever operation have failed."

After "OK" that message screen, it goes back to the main menu for FREEBSD
installation.  If start over again, I got the same error message.

If I exit the installation and restart the computer, the screen shows
"F1...DOS     F2...BSD  default: F?
If I choose F2, the screen shows:
Can't find file boot.config.  Can't find file boot.hlp
>>freebsd boot @ 0X10000: 638/64320 k of memory, internal console
Boot default: 0:wd(0, a)kernel
boot:
can't find kernel