Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:14:27 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems mounting extended DOS partition

[ I received this question, thought others would be interested in the
answer.]

> Ok, I'm curious.  Why is the extended DOS partition slice 5?  And
> why does sysinstall tell me that the partition is known as wd0s3
> if I need to refer to it as /dev/wd0s5?

	To sysinstall, the whole slice is wd0s3 since the only thing the
partition labeller is interested in is the "primary" partitions, since
those are the only slices it can install into. The way DOS handles
partitions, one of the 4 available primary partitions is converted to
what's known as an extended partition, and the logical partitions are
divided up within the extended partition. So, wd0s3 is the extended
partition, and wd0s5 is the first logical partition within it. They are
not the same thing.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest