Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:05:44 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Josh Ockert <torstenvl@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam:****, RE: Demon license?

On Jul 20, 2005, at 6:15 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

As I understand it Apple is using some of the code from FreeBSD, but
FreeBSD isn't necessarily *getting* anything as an obligation from
them.

Ideally, if businesses give to them, that's a bonus.  Businesses have
always been able to take from FreeBSD as per it's license without
giving anything.  But when you start doing tit-for-tat
scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours relationships with businesses,
there's going to be problems.

>> when it comes to free-source operating systems, it is a
>> geek's party and the market promoters are the crashers.
>
> Hear hear!

Why is the concept so hard for people to understand that "open source"
projects aren't necessarily out to displace Windows or take over the
world...that they were spawned by a desire to scratch an itch or make
something that's good and fills a need. There are those who create
things with some motivation to purely outdo Windows, no doubt...but for
the most part it's just made to be made, without obligations?

If the "product" works for you, you're allowed to use it.  Use FreeBSD.
  Use GPL tools, use the Linux kernel to build a better distro,
whatever.  But why must people be driven to take these projects to
start dancing with corporate sponsors and cash??  If you want to do
that, do it the way "Linux" has...start a corporation using that
product as the basis, and approach the businesses you're interested in
courting, and leave the core project alone.  Businesses aren't
interested in the core Linux kernel necessarily...they work with a
corporation that uses it.  The corporation gives a point of contact, a
point of support, a face to work with.  If it goes out of business it's
a case of touch noogies...the actual project itself isn't bothered one
way or the other and is still available on the Internet for free with
people spending their free time working on it as a hobby.

*sigh*  Not that it really matters in the end...que sera, sera, right?