Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:02:00 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gzip and large files

In the last episode (Aug 28), Andrew said:
> I have a large log file (approx 1GB gzip compressed) that I want to
> search. When I try to decompress it the resulting file is only just
> over 300MB. While its possible it was just horribly inefficient
> compresison I suspect I'm hitting some bug...perhaps due to the
> resulting file being greater than 2GB?
>
> Does anyone know what is going on and what I can do about it?

Maybe your disk is full? :)

gzip doesn't have any problems spanning the 2gb mark.  The output of
"gunzip -l file.gz" will be wrong, but that's it.  Try running "gunzip
-t", which will test the file without uncompressing it.  A 1gb text
logfile should expand to between 5 and 10 gb.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com