Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:24:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Hard error reading fsbn' in 5.1 but not 5.0?

Darren has dicovered the magic of automatic block remapping.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> Just now, my 120GB western digital, immediately upon the mounting of all
> filesystems during startup, made a faint "click", then my screen filled with
> errors of the form:
>
> ad6: hard error reading fsbn -# of -#--# error=10

If you write this block again it should map it out of the way.  Whatever's
there is probably gone but you can keep it from annoying you any more.

Of course mapping dd to a file gets kinda hard :)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org