Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:10:12 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        rnordier@nordier.com, braukmann@tse-online.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble booting from WinNT with new boot loader

Julian Elischer wrote:

> This is exactly why at whistle we use the 2nd block of the first
> disk to store this stuff. (see 'nextboot(8)')
> the bootblocks on da0 load a default from da0-block1,
> which specify:
> da(1,........

I've come to quite like the nextboot concept, the more I've thought
about it.  One advantage seems that it's just much easier for external
programs (which may not be UFS-aware) to set up the bootblocks, or
maybe just pass arguments to them.

> I am thinking of adding code to actually make the 2nd block require to be
> in it's own slice type (not 165) so that it is marked as being in-use
> rather than using a 'free' block like we do now..
>
> I've added a 4th slice below that shows what it would look like....
> what do you think?

>  The data for partition 3 is:
>  sysid 201,(FreeBSD bootspec)
>      start 1, size 1 (0 Meg), flag 0
>          beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
>          end: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0

It could have the advantage of warning off other software.

Modern versions of fdisk should allocate slices aligned to head
boundaries; and the IBM/Microsoft OSes have a convention of ignoring
any slice smaller than 64 sectors, anyway.  Though there seems to
be a mostly-accepted convention that all of cyl=0 head=0 is reserved
for the boot manager these days, so that might be the only thing
to worry about.

--
Robert Nordier