Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 14:02:55 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        "Andy Coates" <andy@friends-tv.net>, "Dan Larsson" <dl@tyfon.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help! :(

> > | Can anyone help me out here and suggest a plan of action?
> >
> > I've experienced this in the past. A hit on CTRL + C
> > resumes the boot. I found the problem to be name resolution
> > issues.
>
>Hey,
>
>Turned out to be apache.sh script, as I installed apache with SSL recently
>and it turns out the default .sh file has a line similar to:
>
>apachectl startssl > /dev/null
>
>So I started this myself, without the redirect to null, and it starts up
>asking for my secure pass phrase to decrypt my SSL keys - so thats where it
>was stopping and because it was being redirected to null I couldn't see it
>asking this.  Removed the redirection, rebooted to make sure it was that and
>now as it starts asks me for my phrase to start SSL, so I can enter it and
>it continues booting happily :-)
>
>At least I can see whats happening now, although I don't like having to
>enter the phrase on bootup as I might restart this machine remotely. I'll go
>read the docs and see if there's anyway around this apart from not running
>it at boot.

I had this same exact problem a few months back, and the 'best' solution I
got from someone was to set up ssl without a passphrase (if you're worried
about remote reboots).  This isn't exactly the best solution, which is why
I opted to keep the passphrase and not reboot remotely :)  Also, the
version I was playing around with would *not* let you put in null (carriage
return) as your passphrase.  Might be different now.

Hope that helps,
John