Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:19:57 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>, "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Filesystem gets a huge performance boost

* Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> [010415 23:16] wrote:

>                               For example, all this work on a preemptive
>     kernel is just insane.  Our entire kernel is built on the concept of
>     not being preemptable except by interrupts.  We virtually guarentee
>     years of instability and bugs leaking out of the woodwork by trying to
>     make it preemptable, and the performance gain we get for that pain
>     is going to be zilch.  Nada.  Nothing.

Pre-emption is mearly a side effect of a mutex'd kernel.

The actual gains are in terms of parallel execution internally.
Meaning if we happen to copyin() a 4 meg buffer we can allow more
than one process to be completing some sort of work inside the
kernel other than spinning on the giant lock.

Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.