Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:21:33 -0800
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing boot manager

Trying to install any flavor of BSD on my AlphaPC 164LX. So far
FreeBSD seems to come closest, but...

After several attempts to install from CDROM (3.1) and various ftp
distributions, I finally had success installing the current (4.0)
snapshot. The only error message that I got was that the compat22
package failed, which I guess isn't surprising.

However, the machine won't boot - it can't find /boot/loader. Why
wasn't that installed, and how do I install it?

Also, I'm wondering why every time I boot the installation disks, it
wants to repartition my disk. Especially after my last install, which
seems to have gone to completion, the partition info (as well as
populated file systems) should be on the disk, but sysinstall doesn't see
it.

Thanks for your help.
Steve
--