Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:31:28 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>, FreeBSD Chat <FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spam decisions

Thus spake Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>:
> > Mmm..I finally put a blacklist entry on all domains ending in ".tw".
> > This is something I swore off doing, but for months now I have been
> > generating unknown user messages for mail from .tw registered domains.
>
> > So I have decided to REJECT at receipt all messages in said domains.
> > So any genuine FreebSD users in Taiwan (for so I take .tw to be) ...
> > sorry.
>

> Would it be an (posible) idee to put genuine FreeBSD users on a white
> list?

I whitelist mailing list mail and off-list responses thereto, when
I can identify it.  The idea that ``I don't know anyone in country
X, so mail from there must be SPAM'' breaks down for mailing
lists.  I actually think that in general, if a whitelist is
required at all, there must be something wrong with the model.
That is probably the case, in fact, but the scheme seems to work
well in practice.  That doesn't mean that people use SpamAssassin
are wrong, but they probably have different goals.  My criteria
are (a) be conservative (no false positives), and (b) try to
minimize the time spent dealing with SPAM and related gizmos given
the first constraint.